CEFCA announces a Call for Letters of Intent for Surveys with the JAST80 Telescope operating at the OAJ
CEFCA announces a Call for Letters of Intent for Surveys with the JAST80 Telescope operating at the OAJ. Deadline: 30 September 2021, 14:00 CET.
JAST80 is currently mostly devoted to conduct the Javalambre Photometric Local Universe Survey (J-PLUS) with a set of 12 narrow-, intermediate- and broad-band filters. Following the survey spirit of the ICTS OAJ, and with the aim of maintaining the competitiveness of the facility in the next years, an open call for proposals will be made public early 2022 to define the second-generation Surveys with the JAST80 Telescope. In this context, CEFCA issues a Call for Letters of Intent for Surveys with the JAST80 Telescope operating at the OAJ.
Letters of Intent shall include the Scientific Rationale, emphasizing the Legacy Value of the data, and an overall description of the Observing Strategy and Filter System. In the case of new filters and/or instrumentation is needed, brief technical description will be welcomed. Letters of Intent are expected to be discussed in a public meeting at the end of 2021, prior to the formal Request for Proposals process.
Summarizing, the expected call for proposals will have the following main characteristics:
- 650 hours per year will be offered during 5 years (total of 3250 hours) to perform legacy surveys with the JAST80 telescope.
- The proposed surveys shall require a minimum of 200 hours per year.
- 12 J-PLUS and 3 GALANTE filters integrated at T80Cam will be offered.
- The definition of new filters and/or new instrumentation is also possible.
- The expected starting date for the observations of surveys using T80Cam and existing filters is Q1 2023.
And the foreseen process milestones are:
- Letters of Intent submission deadline: 30 September 2021, 14:00 CET. These should be submitted in PDF format to the following email: JAST80Surveys@cefca.es.
- Open meeting to present JAST80 Survey Mode and to discuss potential projects. Identification of Synergies: November 2021
- Call for Proposals OPEN: February 2022
- Call for Proposals CLOSED: May 2022
- Awarded Surveys announcement: July 2022
- Beginning of observations: January 2023. If the Survey requires new filters and/or new instrumentation the starting date will be accommodated.